Sunday, March 9, 2014

Three for Bukowski

I'm not sure what initially sparked my interest in reading Charles Bukowski, but once that tap opened, I went on a steady diet of Buk's work for quite some time. I became such a fan, that I got Kyle Knapp hooked on the candid writer when Kyle was searching for some inspiration of his own. I had lent him Women and several others (Post Office, Notes from a Dirty Old Man), and we had lengthy discussions on the raw material.

January 16, 2013. Kyle sent an email with the header 'ode to Bukowski' and attached was a poem titled Women in Acrostics with a note, "Do you remember this scene in "Women?" It was very funny." -Kyle

So, on this 20th anniversary on Bukowski's death, I thought we'd honor his remembrance with not just Kyle's poem but two other amazing tributes from Gerald So and Adrian Manning (via Silver Birch Press) in the appropriately titled "Another Round for Bukowski" (thanks, Gerald!).

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

A nice little treat on an early Monday morning. I enjoyed these all.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

David, I didn't know about Charles Bukowski until now. I'll look at some of his work.

David Cranmer said...

Glad to hear, Charles.

Prashant, I found his Notes From a Dirty Old Man to be riveting. That's where I started.