Friday, May 3, 2013

“Thomas Pluck!”

When I mention the name Thomas Pluck out loud, my two-year-old daughter recites it in a cute high-pitch voice. His name must have some sorta boom-chicka-boom rhythm the way she spins around on her toes as she sings out, “Thomas Pluck!”

Today, I was sent quite a present from “Thomas Pluck!” The gift was his final edit of Blade of Dishonor that we’ve been working on together—or rather he’s been working on based on an idea I hatched about a character named Reeves. My proposal was cliché and to “Thomas Pluck!”’s credit, he let me know it was cliché. But he liked the germ of the idea and ran with it. It’s too early to get into specifics as this nearly 50k word novel needs to be edited by yours truly and we have to work on the cover art, though I think “Thomas Pluck!” has that, um, covered.

Wait a sec, I just remembered he had talked about Blade once before and said this about it:

David Cranmer asked if I’d be interested in writing about an MMA fighter tussling with ninjas over a stolen sword. How could I say no to that? David published my mixed martial arts fighter tale “A Glutton for Punishment,” and I grew up on ’80s ninja movies and the Shogun Assassin “baby cart” samurai films. It is set in the present day, but the action begins in World War 2. I enjoy writing this so much that there may be a prequel written in the era of feudal Japan.

Well, he exceeded far beyond what I imagined. Today, at the soul-sucking day job, I read as much as I could at lunch and then said out loud, “Thomas Pluck!” My co-worker asked, “What’s a Thomas Pluck?”, and I replied, “You will know soon enough.”

10 comments:

sabrina ogden said...

I can't wait to read it!

Josh Stallings said...

Sounds like big fun

Unknown said...

I've been looking forward to this one for a while now. Can't wait!

Randy Johnson said...

Sounds good.

David Barber said...

Thomas is a great writer and I'm looking forward to reading it, Mr C.

Love to the family, David. Hope all is well.

David Cranmer said...

A few more months, Sabrina. But well worth the wait on this one.

Josh, Mr. Pluck pulls out all the stops and turns in a pulp mega blast with Blade.

Dyer, Right up your alley, sir.

You know a copy will be coming your way, Not The Baseball Pitcher.

All is well, David. I've missed your friendship around these North American cyber haunts and welcome you back, amigo. And how are your ladies?

Thomas Pluck said...

It was no picnic growing up with that name. I couldn't make a collect call to get my mom from one of those old-fangled payphones, the operator thought it was a prank. I'm glad it is finally paying off. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

My eyebrow is appropriately arched in anticipation of more.

Dave King said...

Something tells me you're a tad over modest? Great stuff coming, I'm sure.

Ron Scheer said...

Talk about your dynamic duo.