Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Circle of Life

It’s been a year to the day since I’ve seen my mom. Been a year since she got on an Amtrak in New York with my sister Sheila Marie and headed to Texas. Prior to that, I had spent the previous four months caring for her. It was a daily struggle to say the least. Now, my sister has dealt with it for a full year. Thank you, Sis. If you have never dealt with an Alzheimer’s patient, thank your lucky stars … it can be frustrating, horrifying, and heartbreaking.

Still, my sister is an upbeat person and has gone back to writing some beautiful poetry.

The Circle of Life by Sheila Marie Grimes

You're as helpful as a child
You are willing to do
My fear is you'll get hurt
I'm afraid for you.
I pull the knobs off the stove
Take plugs out of the walls
Night lights in rooms and halls
Come quickly when you call.
Wear your non-skid shoes
No socks on bare floors please
Your coat and gloves, take along
When temperatures drop the degrees.
Good Grief ... listen to me
I've heard it ... long ago
As a child ... you cared for me
I felt safe ... I remember ... I know.
So, we're in the circle of life
At the end of our beginning
A challenge, to say the least
But Mother ... I believe we're winning!

Copyright/ Sheila Grimes/ November 15, 2012

15 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

I have the utmost respect for you and your sister. I know it isn't easy.

G. B. Miller said...

Beautiful poem, and definitely have respect for you and your sister. Having seen what my mom & dade witn through with my grandfather some 20+ years ago, I can completely sympathize and understand the pain and heartache that you must be battling through.

Mates said...

I missed her even when she was here, but I would so love to see that face & give her a hug again. Even though I know whe may not remember who I am. I remember a loving and kind woman that cared for me with love and honesty.

Charles Gramlich said...

I was thinking of my mom this morning on my commute as well. Miss talking to her. Very lovely poem by your sister.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It is great that she can write about it. So cathartic and beautifully expressed.

Oscar Case said...

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease on the patient and those who care for him/her. The sister-in-law has the beginning of it and was very noticeable when she came for a visit, the memory loss, and not knowing how to do things anymore. The feller across the street has it. He took off in his golf cart to go play some holes and never returned. The police found him forty miles away traveling on the freeway heading home. Funny, but sad. My heart and prayers go out to all those dealing with it.

Kieran Shea said...

There's nothing harder for the both of you.

Ron Scheer said...

Thanks for sharing your sister's wrenching poem. All three of you are in my heart.

David Cranmer said...

Thank you for all the kind words. Much appreciated. And, Mates, we have to make that trip.

Richard Prosch said...

Wonderfully expressed. Hang tough, my friend.

David Cranmer said...

Thanks, Rich.

Sis said...

I have to say thank you David, for posting my poem, and thank you all for your kind comments. sg

Dave King said...

It didn't seem the sort of poem that would improve by re-reading, BUT IT IS. A brilliant poem. Thanks for it. Blessing to you and all yours.

Sarah Laurence said...

Beautiful poem from a big-hearted woman. Your sister is awesome!

David Cranmer said...

The poem really hits me hard, Sis. Heartfelt piece of writing.

Thanks, Dave.

I'm sure that comment will give her a smile, Sarah.