Saturday, July 30, 2011

Gun Justice

When reading my latest Cash Laramie story, it may seem a little familiar to some readers, and, perhaps, leave them wondering why I’ve sent Cash down this revenge trail again. So I thought a bit of insight on the origins of "Gun Justice" would help.

I wrote a story called "Justice Served" for the sadly departed Dark Valentine Magazine. At the time it was my darkest story to date and I had been apprehensive about it because Cash steps beyond the justice system to deliver retribution. I sent it off to Chuck Tyrell to go under his wizened eye and he sent back an edit he called "Gun Justice."

Sidebar: Chuck was at Cash Laramie’s beginnings when he edited (along with ace writer/editor, Nik Morton) the outlaw marshal’s first appearance in "Cash Laramie and the Masked Devil" for A FISTFUL OF LEGENDS. Chuck knows this character and helped contribute many fine elements to the series. I added a few of Chuck’s suggestions but I stuck with my overall version then sent it off to Dark Valentine.

A few months back I was going through some old e-mails and found Chuck's edit and realized how much I now preferred his version. I sent it off to Jack Martin and he accepted it for Wild West eMonday.

So I hope you have a few moments to read the story and find out what flipped Cash Laramie from being a marshal that walked the line to being one known as the outlaw marshal. Here is "Gun Justice."

Picture of me holding a 19th century Colt.

8 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Interesting to hear the history behind the tale. I always enjoy this kind of info.

Heath Lowrance said...

It's a tight little story, and this side of Laramie it focused on is my favorite side of the character. Is it a bit of a flashback, then? Or perhaps the question is irrelevant, considering it all takes place in the past...

David Cranmer said...

I do as well, Charles. It must be the historians in us.

Heath, I think you answered your own question there. lol. Thanks for all your support, amigo.

Anonymous said...

Both the story and its background carrying details are very enjoyable, thanks for sharing! The deep dark layers of the story are convincing. Cheers, Connie

Elizabeth said...

I, too, always like knowing the story behind the story. And since I've always enjoyed stories about basically good guys who have been pushed to walk just outside the line, well, this is of course a winner.

JJ Stickney said...

Thanks for the back story, well done.

Ron Scheer said...

Yours is a good argument for collaboration. I always need an editor who can point to a spot and say, "You lose me here." Glad to know you and Chuck worked so well together. There's not a wasted or unclear word in the whole piece.

David Cranmer said...

Very kind words, Connie. I really appreciate you taking the time to read the story and leaving a comment here.

Thanks, Elizabeth. Cash Laramie is so far over the line that I plan on jolting him wide-eyed in volume two of ADVENTURES OF CASH LARAMIE AND GIDEON MILES.

Thanks, JJ. Btw you're coming up at BTAP pretty quickly. I'll send an e-mail soon.

Thanks, Ron. I've been blessed with some terrific writing pals like Chuck, Scott D, La Tray and Sandra.