Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Two Sentence Tuesday

For the longest time, the only Graham Greene I'd ever been exposed to was the film version of The Third Man starring Orson Welles. But now I have another one of Greene's work under my belt. I just finished reading Our Man in Havana re-published in 2007 by Penguin with a very in depth introduction by Christopher Hitchens. Highly recommended. My two lines pick from this classic are:

The complaint was of a serious nature: she had set fire to a small boy called Thomas Earl Parkman, Jr. It was true, the Reverend Mother admitted, that Earl, as he was known in the school, had pulled Millie’s hair first, but this she considered in no way justified Millie’s action which might well have had serious results if another girl had not pushed Earl in a fountain.
I've already shared something from each of my in-progess pieces for Two for Tuesday, so I thought instead I'd plug my recent short story, "Blubber," published in OOTG #5:

"You gotta be fucking kidding me," she muttered, feeling a sudden jab of horror as she realized the loathsome implications of the ad she had posted on craigslist. She paused, debating whether or not she should walk away.
For more Two Sentence thrills, check out the Women of Mystery blog.

8 comments:

Barrie said...

I always get a kick out of the Two-Sentence-Tuesday posts.

the Bag Lady said...

Great sentences, David.
Yours made me want to read more....

Clare2e said...

There's a particularly English flavor of detached narration that just devastates me.

Of course, I'm always a fan of loathsome implications, too!

Crystal Phares said...

Thanks for sharing! I love Two Line Tuesdays!

David Cranmer said...

Barrie, Thanks.

The Bag Lady, Thank you and I hope you do. It's a great issue with some wonderful contributions from Vickie Hendricks, Glenn Gray, Cindy Rosmus etc.

Clare, Loathsome implications are the worst!

Crystal, Thanks for stopping by and I will returning to your very entertaining site.

Sarah Hina said...

I've read The End of the Affair, which was devastatingly good. I really should read more of Greene.

Nice sentences! I would imagine there are many loathsome implications that arise from craigslist ads. Anyway, it made me want to know more.

Barbara Martin said...

I'm very curious now about the rest of your story. But that's the great thing about two sentences, they often whet one's appetite for more.

David Cranmer said...

Barbara, You would enjoy the issue of OOTG. Lots of great contributions from writers greater than I.