Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Two Sentence Tuesday

So, here goes... I’m throwing my hat into the Two Sentence Tuesday arena...

“Mr. Phanschmidt, I'm dying very slowly, a little too slowly for my tastes. Eventually Jackie will inherit my wealth and the headaches that go with it, including unfortunate business like you.”

This is from a rough draft with the working title of An Old Address. When it’s finished I plan to send it into Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, which may be a bit optimistic of me, but for a very specific reason, this is the only place where I can submit it.

As far as reading, I’ve been immersing myself in westerns lately because of a noir-style western that I'm working on. Currently I’m reading The Big Westerner by Robert Easton, Seminole Showdown by Jon Sharpe and Border Guns by Eugene Cunningham. The following is from Border Guns:

In the few remaining miles that separated him from Rawles and whatever might lie in wait there for him, Ross passed four or five riders who eyed him aslant, nodded very gravely, stared thoughtfully at his long limbed black, and fox-trotted past him. Men of varying ages, from twenty, perhaps, to forty, were these, but whatever their years might number, they were alike in the careless roughness of their clothing, in a certain grim watchfulness and wolfish alertness of barren.

I would like to thank Clare of Women of Mystery for the invitation to join the Two Sentence Tuesday fun.

10 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Good luck with the noir western. Sounds interesting.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Noir western should be perfect. Deadwood, a prime example.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

David,

Thanks for these two sentences.

I love "too slowly for my taste" as refers to dying! What an image!

Good luck with the story and with the noir western.

Terrie

David Cranmer said...

Charles/Patti, I'm having a lot of fun writing it. One of those times when the words are flowing.

Terrie, I'm glad you enjoyed it. If it gets accepted, I'll be over the moon ecstatic.

Barbara Martin said...

Noir westerns; now that sounds interesting. Your prose is great writing, and David, you have to think big. Ellery Queen is worth a shot.

Scott D. Parker said...

Like everyone here, noir westerns is a gem of a genre. I'd read them and I'd like to write them.

Can't find any definition of this Two-sentence Tuesday thing. Is it just any random two sentences or the opening two sentences of a story?

David Cranmer said...

Thanks Barbara. I'm going to give it the old college try.

Scott, It was started by Laura at the Women of Mystery site. Two sentences are written by you and the other two are from a current book you are reading. Barbara Martin's contributions are in the comments on the WoM blog.

Joshua said...

you can not go wrong with a good western.

David Cranmer said...

Thanks Josh!

Joshua said...

thanks man. It's really amazing how such a simple melody can be so freaking powerful.