Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Mentalist

I just finished watching The Mentalist. I read Robert Blanco’s review in the USA Today this morning and thought what the heck.

I have not watched episodic television since Seinfeld went off the air ten years ago. That’s not to say I don’t watch television shows. I will buy season 1 of ‘this’ and season 2 of ‘that’ but waiting every week for your favorite shows seems so archaic in this day and age. Besides TV, for the most part, is just god-awful.

Maybe it’s because I’m a fan of magicians, in particular mentalists like Max Maven, that I decided to give this show a try. The Mentalist stars Simon Baker as Patrick Jane, a former psychic ala John Edwards, who, after the horrifying death of his family at the hands of a serial killer, decides to work for the police in solving crimes.

His intuitive gifts come in handy in the opener where he deduces from a few pictures and a wife’s distance from her husband that the husband molested and killed their daughter. The wife isn’t completely sure but with a little prodding and guidance from Jane, she realizes the husband is lying, grabs a gun and blows her husband away. Only in TV land, he’s back on the job a few days later before a review board has even investigated.

The show sets up a continuing story line of Jane vs. the serial killer. I’m intrigued enough to tune in next week. The show, as Blanco pointed out, is familiar ground but Simon Baker definitely has star power and the strong supporting cast includes Robin Tunney (Prison Break) playing his boss. I liked the show and will wait seven days to watch the next episode and even sit through the commercials. Ugh!

Reviews: USA Today | Entertainment Weekly

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I just find it virtually impossible these days to get interested in a TV series. I decided to watch Fringe. I watched one episode and enjoyed it, then tried to watch a second one tonight. Lost interest about 2/3 of the way through and started reading.

David Cranmer said...

Charles, That sounds like me. Interestingly, Fringe is on opposite The Mentalist and Dancing With The Stars. So even if I end up liking Mentalist, it doesn't stand a chance against the other two.

Randy Johnson said...

I gave this one a pass as it appeared to be a ripoff of USA's Psyche.
Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I watched it too but see how it might quickly be just another police procedural. I think Medium is the most successful in staying quirky and true to its own voice although I am tired of that by now too.

David Cranmer said...

Randy, I am so out of touch with television that I never heard of Psyche until I read some reviews for The Mentalist. Apparently the fact that Patrick Jane is linked to the serial killer by the death of his family is what separates this show but otherwise it's very similar.

Patti, These shows just keep mutating and copying each other until they run themselves into the ground. When my wife and I buy or rent TV shows to watch we usually stick to the British shows or HBO/Showtime where there's still some quality left.

Clare2e said...

I wondered about the show from the trailer, being a fan of fake psychics, if that makes any sense. The premise did seem like a "Psych"-esque idea to me, but The Mentalist seems to be aiming for drama, and Psych is really above all a comedy show. And funny, too, if you get the chance...

David Cranmer said...

Clare, I will look for Psych. I may have to buy a TV Guide. Do they still print those? (ha)