Wednesday, September 10, 2008

DIY: HHO

I’m not mechanically inclined like my father or most of my uncles who all had the gift. I do, however, appreciate ingenuity when I see it. Over the past few weeks, with everyone talking about soaring gas prices, a coworker of mine decided to do something about it and built his own hydrogen fuel generator.

The picture to the right shows a regular Mason jar with plexi-glass inside wrapped with a stainless steel coil. The wires go to the battery and the vent hose runs to the intake of the vehicle.

Basically it works by breaking down molecules in water to produce hydrogen gas.

The mixture in the jar is roughly two tablespoons of baking soda and filled with water.

Disclaimer: I don’t recommend doing this and I jokingly told this country boy that if he blows up his truck, I'll be thinking of Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck if..."



The joke appears to be on me. My Jeep Wrangler continues to guzzle gas and according to this mechanically inclined southern gentleman with his new 'hybrid' pick-up truck, he has seen a 30% increase in savings.

For both sides of the 'does it work' debate:
The-Shocking-Truth-About-a-Hydrogen-Car-Kit, ezinearticles.com

Water-Powered Cars: Hydrogen Electrolyzer Mod Can't Up MPGs, Popular Mechanics

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I wonder why more people don't do this?

David Cranmer said...

I'm not sure why more people don't because I'm being told by this new convert that it works