Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Watchman by Robert Crais

Robert Crais is probably best known for his Elvis Cole series, and up to now, I hadn't read any of his novels. I just corrected that mistake by reading The Watchman featuring Cole's "sociopathic sidekick," Joe Pike.

Pike, owing a favor, agrees to protect a young ‘Paris Hilton’ type heiress, who is a witness in a federal investigation. Quicker than you can say Jason Bourne, they are on the run with Pike killing five assassins in the first day alone. Pike justifiably suspects a leak but who? He calls on his buddy, Elvis Cole, to do a little background investigation and begins to unravel the mystery.

A few years back, I read Without Remorse which featured the laconic Mr. Clark, who was a secondary character in Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series. It turned out to be my favorite book of the group. Of course, if Pike or Clark were continually used, it would ruin their enigmatic appeal. Even so, I'm sure I will read the next Robert Crais offering no matter who the protagonist is, because, as The New York Times said, this is a "taut, muscular... testosterone-fueled thriller." In other words: it rocks.

A special thanks to Darlene Ryan and the ladies at Poe's Deadly Daughters for sending me a copy of the book.

No comments: